Happy New Year, everyone! It’s hard to believe that 2016 is already over. 2016 was a big year for me, the Olympic Movement, and this blog.
Over the year, I celebrated one year of volunteering at Special Olympics; attended the Commission on the Status of Women at the UN; interviewed Jesse Owens’ daughter, Marlene Rankins Owen, and Matt Stutzman, a Paralympic archer; interned at Special Olympics NYC, Special Olympics Southern California, and LA 2024; volunteered at the Rio 2016 Olympics; presented my senior Honors thesis on introducing Special Olympics’ Unified Sports into the Olympics; and graduated from Pace University! I’m so thankful to have had such a great year, and I’m excited to see where 2017 will take me!
Here are some things I’m excited for in 2017:
- Starting in January, I’m going to be an Assistant Swim Coach for Special Olympics Pennsylvania!
- The three grand marshals of the Rose Bowl Parade (which is happening tomorrow) will be Greg Louganis, Janet Evans, and Allyson Felix.
- I’m presenting my thesis at a conference in Pittsburgh in April!
- In May, I’ll walk at my graduation!
- My sister and my best friend are getting married this summer!
- In September, we’ll finally learn which city will host the 2024 Olympics!
Here’s to a great 2017!